Introduction to structural analysis: Types of structures, structural idealisation and loads. Redundancy and stability of structures.
Analysis of Determinate pin Jointed Structures: Method of joints, method of sections, method of moment and shears and graphical method.
Analysis of Statically Determinate Rigid Jointed Plane Frames: Shear force, bending moment and axial force diagrams for these structures.
Moving Loads: Influence lines for reactions, shear force and bending moment in statically determinate beams and paneled girders, influence lines for member forces in pin jointed frames, Calculation of maximum stress function (reaction, shear, bending moment, axial force) in these structures.
Three Hinged Arches, Cables and Suspension Bridges: Basic considerations in analysis and design. Moving loads on three hinged arches and suspension bridge.
Rotation and Deflection: Rotation and deflection of beams by moment area method, conjugate beam method, double integration method, Castigliano’s second theorem. Rotation and deflection of plane trusses and frames. Principle of virtual work, unit load method, graphical method.
- H.H. West, Fundamentals of Structural Analysis, John Willey-New York, 2nd Edition, 2002
- Alexender Chajes, Structural Analysis, , N.J: Prentice Hall, 3rd Edition, 1995
- W.J. Spencer, Fundamental Structural Analysis, Palgrave Macmillon, 1988 New York, Inc.
- R. C. Hibbler, Structural Analysis, Prentice Hall, 7th Edition,
- K. M. LEET & Chia-Ming Uang, Fundamentals Structural Analysis Prentice Hall, 7th Edition, 2009
- Wang, C.K., Indeterminate Structures Analysis, McGraw Hill.